Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I'm Doing the Happy Dance on My Laundry Room Floor

...just because I finally can!!! Well, not just because I can but also because I'm SOOOO happy that I took the challenge and even showed the world my messy room to motivate me to finally clean and organize the room that I most dreaded in my house. It is now one of the rooms that I most love! Thanks so much for the challenge
Laura (the organizing junkie)...I wouldn't have done it without you!

O.k....well there are some formalities for the contest...some questions to answer and some before and after pictures to show you. I'm so excited....heehee.

Q. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and were you able to overcome it?

A. Taking pictures of my mess and showing them off on my blog was pretty difficult but I overcame it ;o) I was actually pretty paralyzed with the whole thought of this room. It seemed just so overwhelming that I didn't even want to deal with it at all...BUT...I overcame it.

Q. Tell us what kind of changes/habits you have put into place in order for your area/room to maintain its new order?

A. I enjoy this room so much now that I don't mind being in it. Laundry is done regularily and actually folded and put away RIGHT away. It doesn't have to go up to the kids room's right away as I put the folded clothes in their individual baskets. The kids take their clothes to their rooms and put them in their dressers (which are no longer overflowing thanks to some purging we did) then they gather their dirty clothes and bring them down in their baskets and sort the clothes into the hampers. I was the clothes before the hampers get full and the whole things happens again :o)

Q. What did you do with the "stuff" you were able to purge out of your newly organized space?

A. Seven LARGE garbage bags full of clothes went to Big Brothers and Sisters, One went to my friend who assures me she can use what was inside (mostly sheets I didn't need) and Three plus large bags went to the garbage...whew. I feel lighter :o)

Q. What was the biggest lesson you learned from this experience?

A. Labels and routines make life simpler.

Q. Now that you have completed the PROCESS, do you think having and keeping your space organized will make a difference in your life?

A. I want my whole house to look like my laundry room!!! This will definately make a difference. I need to purge so much more around my house. Having less is SO much better and EASIER to keep clean. This is a lesson I've been trying to learn for a long time. I'm going to take baby steps...first my laundry room, then the rest of my house, then the world...mwahahaha!

O.k. well. Now...the moment I've been waiting for. First of all a very happy me :o)




Before and After Photos:


The view from the doorway...remember...I didn't have a door to close. I still don't but I don't care because this is what it looks like now.........

My floor is even shining :o) Come on inside...it isn't scarey anymore. I promise!

Before by my washer and dryer...yikes!

...and after. Sigh...see why I'm so happy?

A very scarey corner...

...is now clean. My 5 year old seemed surprised that we had a sink in this room. I guess he wasn't brave enough to venture past the mess to find out before.

Another scarey shelving unit.

It looks so much better now! (I'm going to get a new ironing board cover... mine looks pretty yucky. I think I'll sew one and embroider an old fashioned Ironing Day motif near the bottom)

Another view of the topsy-turvy, much-too-full shelving mess!

This has turned into one of my favourite parts of this room :o) I'm going to have to share more photos of this...hope you don't mind. My *almost* 11 year old son told me that when he sees these shelves he just wants to smile! Me too!

I spent about $20.00 and added two more shelves. The empty space is going to hold a "Donations" basket which I'm going to get the next time I go into town. I've already made the tag and I'm looking forward to have a place to put outgrown clothes. The next time Big Brothers and Sisters want to pick anything up I'll be SO ready :o)

Remember my huge collection of "lonely socks"? I vow that will NEVER happen again!!! My laundry is going to be done more regularily and any stray socks will go into this little basket and the mate will be searched for after every load of wash. There's not much room in this little basket so there can never be such a huge amount of lonely socks again...poor little guys. I kind of felt sorry for them missing their mates for SO long. I think they will be happy here until they can be reunited. I think single socks are lonely... this reminds me of a hamburger commercial...LOL.

I finally labeled my hampers! I've been meaning to do this for a long time and I finally did it...yay! I just love the way they look. I've got one for "whites & lights", one for "colours", one for "darks & jeans", and one for "towels". The kids can now sort their dirty clothes and I can put a load on before the hampers get full. Actually all the kids want me to teach them to do the laundry now. I think it's because they think they can keep the loose change they find in the pockets...LOL. Now that my room in clean and organized it'll be easy (and fun) to teach them to do the laundry... no more climbing "Mount Washmore".

Finally, the last "messy" picture that I shared when I first accepted Laura's challenge. See there IS a sink!

And the after shot!

I had to go out into my garden and bring in some sunny flowers...just to add to my happiness :o) I think if I can make my room pretty it'll stay clean longer. What do you think?

Oh...one last thing. You may have noticed an unframed embroidery picture and an empty frame in some of my before pictures. It was something I'd done 20 years ago. It hasn't been framed or hung up for years but I've always saved them. Well, I washed the embroidery and re-framed it and finally hung it on the wall. It says "Home is Where the Heart Is". It makes me happy, too :o)

Thank you SO much to my dear, sweet friend, Donna who came and helped me purge. Wasn't that nice of her? Would you have dared enter my laundry room before? And thanks to my kids for their help and excitement :o) And....to Laura for the challenge. I'm so glad I did this!

Well...that's it. Hopefully I don't have many spelling mistakes because I'm not going to check. I'm afraid I'll loose the whole post and it's taken me an hour to type all of this...HeeHee. Plus I only have 40 minutes to get my entry in for the contest. Wish me luck. Even if I don't win....I think I've already won....grand prize: a great laundry room!

~Marianne

32 comments:

Debi said...

Wow! Congratulations! Hard to believe this is the same room...you did a fabulous job!

Chelsea said...

So very impressive! I wish I had a laundry room like that. Mine's the size of a closet.

Rachel said...

This looks great! Great job!

Laura said...

No worries, I fixed the Mr. Linky for you. I'll be back!

Laura

Dru said...

Oh it looks SO good now! I love the flowers, and the labels are so pretty too. Great job!

Stacy said...

You have done an absolutely amazing job! It looks wonderful.
Enjoy your new room.
It makes me want to come and do laundry!
Stacy
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/AussieinAmerica

Andrea said...

I LOVE all those baskets and hampers. What a great laundry room. I'd do laundry there every day. Great job!

Kristin said...

You did SUCH a great job!! I'm currently working on my laundry room as well. I really love what you did!

Mercy's Maid said...

I'm jealous of your laundry room. :)

My laundry room is tiny--smaller than the closet in my bedroom.

And I love the term "lonely socks".

Good job!

In Pursuit of His Call said...

Wow...wow...wow! AWESOME JOB!!! I love the implementation of all the storage containers AND tags!!!

Ashley said...

Your laundry room looks great! Congratulations. I love all of the pretty labels.

-Ashley
www.thenickfamily.com

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

WoW!!! That is really inspirational! You worked really hard! I have more than a few rooms that need that kind of treatment! Thanks for the inspiring post!!!!

Karen said...

Great job - it looks amazing! I haven't labeled my own laundry baskets but I might now - I love any excuse to use my labelmaker. ;)

Domestic CEO said...

Fabulous job!!! Very impressive transformation! And congratulations on your first prize.

Faerylandmom said...

That IS gorgeous! Grats on winning!

Adrienne said...

Awesome job. Congratualrions on 1st place. You had a big challenge and you overcame it!

palmtreefanatic said...

wow, wow oh wow!
That is simply AMAZING!!!!!
FABULOUS JOB! You must be SO proud!
Congrats on the award!

Cass said...

That looks so good! Did I read on Laura's blog that you are a mother of 8? You inspire and shame me all at once, because I am also mom to 8 and no where near this organized.

Tracy said...

I'm really impressed with your laundry room. I wish I had one like it. You have done a wonderful job!! Congratulations on winning the challenge!!

Naomi said...

Wow you have done an awesome job. I am SO SO impressed. You have motivated me to go and do my laundry which incidently looks a lot like your old one. LOL. Keep up the great work. Inspirational stuff.

Naomi - from down under.

Anon said...

You are *amazing*. I am one of eight, and often wonder how my Mum coped in the days of Terry-Towel nappies!

Well done, you truly deserve this.


I've added you to my blogroll

Stacy said...

Congratulation to you!!! I thought you might win :) You really did an amazing job. Well Done!
Stacy
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/AussieinAmerica

Irene said...

Hello,
You've done a great job. I think this is one of the most important rooms and tasks in a house, so congratulations!
I haven't completed the challenge, but you've given me so many ideas on how to do it next time I get to organise my place. And above all you taught me that it is doable. Thank you, and God bless you and your family.

The Estrogen Files said...

AMAZING job! I'm so happy to see your progress. I'm taking inspiration from your.

KT said...

Congratulations!! You did an amazing job! IT looks so beautiful in there...I would love to do laundry in that room!
http://bimw.wordpress.com

Trinity said...

wow! This is great... you must have determination to do that... you deserve the first prize!

Stuart and Beth said...

Great job! I am impressed. I love the baskets it looks so neat.

Maria said...

Let me just say – WOW!! Congrats on your new and improved laundry room!! Those before and after pictures are incredible!

If you’re interested in doing the rest of your house, this might help. The company I work for offers great home organizational ideas. Before I started working there, my laundry room looked like yours -- but after seeing all the products they offer, I have redone my entire home and I love it! If you’re interested, you can check it out at www.orghomesolutions.com. I used the Easy Track (do-it-yourself) and it worked great!

Good luck in the contest!

Sally said...

Wow! Now I see why you won. The pictures just got better and better. You gave me some great ideas.

Joyce said...

Marianne
What a wonderful job you did on your laundry room! I love, love the "lonely socks" bin. I'm gonna steal that idea for myself :)

Congrats on winning the contest! You deserved it!
Joyce

ps. thanks for subscribing to Organize...I hope you'll love it!

Jen Hill said...

Congrats on winning! You did an amazing job on getting that laundry room in order. The accomplishment is the biggest prize of all. Love it!

Kim said...

Can you tell me what all your bucket tags are?